world is getting more complex and interrelated, and we are all dependent on it.
Those responsible for preserving our digital capital into the future, right now have mostly simple PDFs, audio, video and images. But soon the complex and interrelated objects will be coming their way. Even for something seemingly as simple as a spreadsheet one must know not just the format but also what the columns mean and what their units are. Centigrade or Fahrenheit, meters, millimeters or inches – makes a big difference.
The OAIS Reference Model (ISO 14721) is one of the most important standards for digital preservation, but the average that people scored in a quiz on OAIS which I set up was 66%, which I found surprising.
Take the quiz
yourself to test your knowledge of OAIS and the fundamentals of digital
preservation, to see if you are ready for the future.
You can improve your knowledge by taking our OAIS course.
If you want
to prove your archive is trustworthy then take the course on ISO 16363, then
apply for certification. Which would you trust to look after your valuable
digital assets, an archive ISO certified
by independent auditors, or one which the staff say is OK?
are live on-line with one of the authors of these standards, like myself, and
can be arranged to suit your timetable.
We have been trialing this way of providing the courses, at a reduced price. The cost will increase after 1st Jan 2020 but we will honour the reduced price for any course ordered before that date.
losing your valuable digital data, take action now.
The video of the presentation PTAB Insights into the ISO16363 Audit of GPO is available at https://www.fdlp.gov/ptab-insights-into-the-iso16363-audit-of-gpo as part of the Federal Deposit Library Program.
Because of demand from countries around the world for an online course PTAB would like to announce, in the first instance, online courses for a 4-day High Level Course on ISO 16363 (the outline is here, which also covers OAIS) and a 2-day course solely on OAIS for beginners. Additional courses are also planned for Data Management Planning and Digital Signature preservation (particularly for legal and government legislative documents).
The dates can be flexible to suit the attendees as can the way in which the course is delivered, for example full days or half days, run on consecutive days or spread over over one or more weeks.
are considerable advantages in doing the online course, particularly for
institutions and smaller companies with limited funds for training:
- Significant cost saving, particularly for public institutions and smaller companies with limited funding
- The normal High Level Course on ISO16363 is typically £1500 – £1800 per person depending on the requirements of the client
- There are no travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses
- ZERO carbon footprint – ZERO jetlag
- We can provide one to one or up to 20 people (scale of tuition fees listed below)
- You do not have to be away from your office
- The tutors are also the authors of the ISO standards we will be covering
- You can choose the dates that are convenient for you, subject to availability at PTAB
- The course can be split into two sessions if time constraints are a problem
- The PTAB lecturer will fit in with your time zone
- All training materials provided electronically
The special introductory schedule of fees for the Online Training Courses:
High Level Course on ISO16363 for the more experienced digital repository
- One to One £1000 per person
- 2-5 Students £ 700 per person
- 6-10 Students £ 600 per person
- 11-20 Students £ 575 per person
Course on OAIS for beginners
- One to One £ 500 per person
- 2-5 Students £ 350 per person
- 5-10 Students £ 300 per person
- 10-20 Students £ 290 per person